Sunday 5 July 2015

Re-entering society

I'm Back!



Wine Exam - Complete 
   WSET - Advanced - 15 week course - Complete

I am back amongst the living;  my Advanced WSET (Wine & Spirits Education Trust) is complete. It was an intense 15 week journey through the history, geography, soils, climate, and of course the different grapes of the world. This was a way more intense then the Level 2 I did in the fall. During the 15 weeks we tasted over $5000 in wine and spirits, and it really was a great adventure for my nose and palate.

The exam was 3 sections; a blind tasting of a white and red wine, 50 multiple choice, and several pages of written short answer questions. You do the blind taste first and you have 30 mins to do complete tasting notes for both wines, about a page each. The white was a 2013 New Zealand Sauvignon  Blanc, and the red was a 2004 Spanish Grand Reserve Rioja. Both showed really well and were a treat to taste.

I won't get the exam results for 8-10 weeks; as it is off to England to be marked but the governing body. I didn't do as well as I wanted because of a lot of questions were about fortified wines like Sherry, Port, and Madeira; which are not my strong point, or much to my liking. I do believe I have passed, and can start considering the next step.

First up, I can start drinking BC wine again. It isn't well know on the international scale, so no need to study it for the exam. The last couple of months I have only been drinking classic wines from the world's classic wine regions. It is nice to just sit and enjoy a glass again with out fretting over the characteristics and what soil it may have been planted on.

 I look forward to sharing some of these wines and more that I will be enjoying this summer, so stay tuned for future posts. Thanks for reading!

Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment