Monday 9 March 2015

Wine of the Week


Q - Pinot Noir - 2009 - QUINTAY. -Casablanca Valley, Chile
Everything Wine - $21.99 - ON SALE ($29.99)
My Vivino Score: 4 star

This week I bring you a cool climate Pinot Noir from the Casablanca Valley in Chile. This was a nice wine that was showing a little more garnet in colour as it has aged a bit. It doesn't seem like 2009 was 6yrs ago, but this Decanter World Wine Award Bronze winner from 2011 is ready for drinking now, and by now I mean last Saturday. It is probably on sale to make way for the next vintage coming in, but it still has some wonderful health benefits and life in it.

The back of the bottle mentions that "This fruit driven, aromatically intense Pinot Noir was aged for 8 months in French oak and bottled unfiltered." Inside the bottle it mentions things more like mmmm, delicious, oooh, as your savour the lingering finish. Don't let the screw top fool you this is good vino! I would buy this wine again.

Since I am ramping up to start my next wine course in just over a week. I thought I would share with you my detailed wine notes that I made for this wine. This is what I systematically have to go over for every wine in class, and what I try to do in my head with every wine I taste. My next course will add more categories and more detail on top of these points.

I decanted the wine for 1 hour before tasting.

Appearance: (judged over top of white paper)
Clarity - Clear
Intensity - Medium
Colour - Garnet

Nose:
Condition - Clean
Intensity - Medium
Aromas - Ripe strawberry, red cherry, plum, some mint, new leather, and toasted caramel.

Palate:
Sweetness - Dry
Acidity - High
Tannin - Medium
Body - Medium minus
Flavor - Ripe strawberry, red fruits, over baked caramel, some spice, clove, bit of minerality.
Finish - Medium plus

Conclusions:
Quality  - Good to Very Good


Hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment