Tuesday 24 March 2015

Spicy Dessert Wine

Wine of the Week - Bonus



The Flame - SILVER SAGE  -2013 - Okanagan, BC 
Winery Price- $24.99

Last week my friend Wayne brought me a wine to try from his favourite winery in the Okanagan, Silver Sage. This is no ordinary wine; the first thing that tipped my off was the large chilly pepper inside the bottle. This is a late harvest sweet dessert wine; meaning the grapes are picked later than normal so the sugars concentrate in the grapes. These are usually served chilled and is made from 100% Gewürztraminer , and I would recommend it for this hot little number. The sweetness and high acidity helps cut through the heat

I will give you the same advice Wayne gave me, "You have to have a least 3 sips"
On the nose you get ripe apricots and fuzzy peaches, with a hint of something interesting, perhaps the hot pepper spice.

On the first sip in the mouth you get the same sweet fruity flavours,  and is quite refreshing, then you swallow,

....OH GOD DAMN, too hot in the Hot Tub.

Second sip, nice, fruity, and pleasant well balanced good acidity, then you swallow, ....wait for it, WOW TOO HOT, makes me sweat.

Finally the third sip, not as much fruit since your taste buds are seared and cringing in pain, but you do get more complex spicy hot pepper flavours, ...the swallow, not so bad, I can live with this, 4th sip, 5th sip, 6th sip.....

Try it if you dare!

1 comment:

  1. Is it still wine if you infuse it? Canada's wine industry has certainly made a name for itself with desert wine. I'm not sure that gimmicks from the marketing department serve the interests of the regional industry. Hopefully the college dorm rooms clear out the inventory through discount retailers unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete