Thursday 7 May 2015

Petit Verdot



Wine of the Week



Petit Verdot

Sorry for the gap in posts. My time has been engulfed in my level #3 wine course; .....way more intense then I had anticipated.

So tonight I am taking a break to tell you about Petit Verdot; which is one of my favourite wines when you can find them as a single variety. It is a french grape that calls Bordeaux home. Although it rarely ever gets more than 10% of the blend, and usually less than 5%.

It is a dark think skinned grape that ripens even later than Cab Sauv. When it does ripen fully it produces a rich concentrated full body tannic wine. It usually produces wines that have dark fruit flavours, earthy notes, and some exotic spice. It has done well down it the warmer temperatures regions of Australia where it can ripen fully. Several producers in the new world will grow small percentages for their Meritage blends (Meritage - are Bordeaux style blends, made outside of Bordeaux). There are also a few wineries in the Okanagan also growing this little gem.

Moon Curser in Osoyoos is one of my favorites; and I liked the Pirramimma's Petit Verdot from Australia. It is best if you decant it at least 1-2 hours before drinking to let it open up a bit, and release it's flavours. If you don't have a decanter; pour it into a ceramic mixing bowl, and funnel it back into your bottle when you are ready!

So if in your travels you come across a single variety Petit Verdot; I would suggest to explore something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment